WELCOME TO LINTON ZOO
Hadstock Road, Linton, Cambridgeshire, CB21 4NT. Telephone: 01223 891308
For the latest news and cute pictures faster, follow us on
WORKING AT LINTON ZOO
WORK EXPERIENCE - APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED FOR 2021.
We are unable to offer work experience placements for schools/colleges for less than 6 weeks.
Details of our work experience placement programme can be found here.
All apllicants for any position, including volunteering and work experience, must be aged 16 or over.
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of responses to our advertisements we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
ZOO KEEPER - full time
Linton Zoo Conservation Park currently has a full-time permanent keeper position available for an experienced, highly motivated, reliable and enthusiastic individual. There will be the opportunity to advance to a senior position for the right candidate. You will be responsible for the hands-on day-to-day husbandry of a diverse collection of animals.
The applicant must be flexible about their duties within the zoo and should be prepared to be involved in all aspects of animal care associated with the daily, safe and smooth running of a family owned and managed conservation and education park with a diverse collection of animals. There will be the opportunity to advance to a senior position for the right candidate.
- are expected to work to a flexible rota as necessary to include weekends and Public holidays.
- must be hard working, conscientious and uphold high standards of animal husbandry and welfare.
- must have the ability to work as part of a team and have excellent communication skills.
- should be proficient in public speaking or have the confidence to learn,
- must be willing to assist with other areas of the park, including tours, educational presentations, general maintenance and upkeep of public areas and the supervision and training of trainee keepers,
- must have completed the DMZAA course or hold an equivalent qualification,
- should have a broad knowledge of husbandry practices, an understanding of Zoo licence regulations and a minimum of 2 years working in a similar role,
- should have a full driving licence and car.
Due to the number of applications we receive we are only able to respond to candidates
who are successful through to the interview stage.
If you would like the chance to join our great team, please download an application form and send this with a covering letter and CV to Kim Simmons, Linton Zoo, Hadstock Road, Linton, Cambridgeshire CB21 4NT or email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating any previous experience and availability.
Please note: we will be reviewing applications and conducting interviews throughout the advertised period for this role. The role may therefore be filled prior to the closing date so we would encourage you to submit your application form as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
ANIMAL KEEPER INTERN
We currently have an internship available for a period of 6 months (including a one-month probationary period) working within our animal keeping department, with learning opportunities that are dedicated to the care and husbandry of animals. You will receive training in animal husbandry for a range of species including mammals, birds, reptiles and invertebrates.
The intern will be supporting the animal keeping staff throughout the 6 month period, and in return will gain valuable hands on experience in a busy zoo environment, alongside the opportunity to learn skills that will form the foundations of your Zoo keeping career. The successful applicant will be working full-time, five days a week, including weekends and all Bank Holidays.
Benefits of an internship
If you are keen to get the practical experience many zoos require when applying for a keeper position then this is the ideal opportunity for you. You will get to learn hands on skills with a range of animals that will form the basis of your zoo keeping career. Increase your experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department and the wider role zoos play in wildlife conservation across the globe.
Expected duties / training provided
- Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning etc
- General site and enclosure maintenance
- Undertake and record animal observations
- Visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner
- Visitor interaction and delivery of keeper talks, animal shows, encounters and tours
Requirements / what you will need
Applicants must 18 years old or over, be hard working, conscientious and uphold high standards of animal husbandry and welfare. Applicants must be willing to assist with other areas of the park, including general maintenance and upkeep of public areas.
- Reliability and punctuality are essential requirements for anyone working in animal care,
- The ability to work as part of a team is essential as are excellent communication skills,
- Proficiency in public speaking or confidence to learn is necessary in this role,
- Ability to adapt to different working environments,
- The ability to work both in a team and independently,
- You must be physically fit for the demands of the post,
- You must be able to adapt to a flexible rota
- Ability to show evidence of a long-term interest in animal care e.g. animal related volunteer work,
This position is voluntary and therefore unpaid. We are unable to provide any financial support, expenses or accommodation to those wishing to apply, so we recommend applicants to be within suitable travel distance for the duration of this placement. We recognise that this position takes a level of commitment from individuals and therefore we aim for interns to come away with experience that will help them in their future careers. To ensure that interns are provided with valuable experience; regular reviews will take place ensuring that the training agreement will be successfully accomplished with a training record that will be provided upon completion of the placement.
If you would like the chance to join our great team, please download the application form or telephone for a copy on 01223 891308. Please send this with a covering letter to the Kim Simmons, Linton Zoo, Hadstock Road, Linton, Cambridgeshire, CB21 4NT or email to email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to offer work experience or voluntary placements
for less than a 6 week full time block or for anyone under the age of 16.
All work experience placement applicants must be able to commit to a minimum of a 6 week, full time block, after this initial training period it may be possible to change to 1 or more days a week if required. Please note that we operate on a 7 day work week, so your placement will include weekends and Bank Holidays.
Work experience at Linton Zoo is a full zoo keeper experience, hands on, hard work and sometimes mucky! It is broken into three, two week training sessions. Initially students train in the area of basic animal husbandry including; cleaning skills, food preparation, health and safety etc. The second set of two weeks will involve domestic animal care and finally the third set of two weeks will use all of the skills learnt in the first month to apply to some exotic animal care. Students may help keepers with the care of animals such as lemurs, wallabies, reptiles, insects and in some cases (depending on previous experience and ability) students may progress to assist with care of larger animals including zebra and tapir.
Our Animal Care Apprenticeship students and most of our full time employed keeper team is recruited from former work experience keepers. We hope that the work experience builds good foundations for a future career in the field of animal care whether that be zoo keeping, veterinary or conservation field work.
This is a very intense training programme and this will require a lot of commitment from you. For those successfully completing an interview, there is a charge of £100 per application to secure a place, this is strictly non-returnable, even if you are unable to attend your booked work experience.
Can't find exactly what you're looking for, download a general vacancy application form
We are members of the following: